Saturday, May 9, 2009

188 Monuments or Memorials
Day 2 of road trip; we stopped at the Camp Holloway Memoral Wall in Mineral Wells, Tx before heading over to our hotel in Eastland. We were at the dedication last November. My husband is a Vietnam Vet who was stationed there in 1962 before it was named Camp Holloway. Mr. Holloway was a helicopter pilot who was their first casualty. We found out last summer that Mr. Holloway's sisters actually live close to us and we meet one of them for occasional dinners. This is a copy of the memorial that was built in Vietnam. At the end, all of the plates with the names were removed and sent home but over time were lost. They will be dedicating a copy of the Wall the end of May and then I believe work on a museum will be next.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

That's so sad that plates were lost, but a nice memorial here. Great story to accompany the photo.

mljrbg said...

Beautiful monument and tribute. It's too bad the plates were lost. Thanks for the commentary.

Sunny said...

When the Vietnam war was on, my family lived for a time in Palo Pinto, a short distance from Mineral Wells. The base was going strong then, and one of my brothers worked at the NCO club on the base for a while. I didn't know they had built a memorial there. I think I'll go visit when the museum is built. (Both brothers served, one in 'Nam, one in Thailand.) Me? I protested (without parental permisson--I was in my early teens).

Chesney said...

What a cool memorial - this is awesome to remember our heros!

Anonymous said...

A fine tribute, thanks for the story.

Anonymous said...

A nice shot of the memorial and moving tribute in your commentary.

Anonymous said...

That is a fascinating bit of history and a great photo to illustrate it.